In every relationship when tastes differ, there is discordance. One of the two will have to be flexible to deny one's own will and satisfy the other. With God it is not different. You may have a desire that God does not approve, but in this case you have to surrender to the will of God and not Him to yours. After all He is God and we must be subject to His norms, if we want to enjoy all the benefits He offers us.
It is hard to understand when a person claims to want to please God but always puts his personal will above God’s. This is flesh and does not come from a broken or submissive spirit to God. For example:
- You know your way of dressing is not according to God's will, but you like the clothes you wear too much and do not want to let go of them. After all these clothes have brought you some joy. The boys notice you, they whistle when you walk, and that makes you feel beautiful and desired.
- You date a boy who is an unbeliever, and has a negative influence on your faith, and you have been displeasing God with that relationship. But you love him so much that you cannot bear to be without him.
- You keep friendships that are going in a totally opposite direction to the one you want to follow, but you continue with them, risking your faith and salvation.
- You watch things on TV or on the internet that contaminate your faith, but these things are stronger than you.
- You do wrong things even though you are aware that these things sadden God. But you still enjoy what God does not like! It means that He is not yet the first in your life and that you live outside His will.
When your tastes, desires, and attitudes do not follow the will of God, you must surrender, and get to know Him, so that you have the strength to deny your will and to do His. You need to like what God likes, only then your life will be blessed and protected by Him. Think about whether it has been worth that your will prevails. Remember that for every attitude there is a consequence!
“Therefore submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” James 4:7
“For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.” Galatians 6:8