Tuesday 10 June 2014

Have you taken off your cloak?



I don’t know why but lately I have started by asking you many questions, jejeje. Its just that every time we are questioned, we are forced to think of an answer and that helps us a lot.

Today I would like to talk about the passage of the blind man. Pay attention to the interesting things we will discover:

“Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging. And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, “Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you.”
And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus. So Jesus answered and said to him, “What do you want Me to do for you?” The blind man said to Him, “Rabbi, that I may receive my sight.Then Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.” (Mark  10:46-52)

It seems like a typical story of someone asking for help, a blind man on the sidewalk begging, due to his physical condition he couldn’t work and that is why he begged for money. Lets read between the lines, observe all that we can learn from these verses:

Perseverance – even though everyone would silence him, he would call for Him louder, negative words didn’t intimidate him. Don’t be a quitter.
 How many don’t give up because they don’t know they should continue clamoring. They want to receive everything with just one prayer. The blind man could have thought, “I cried out to Jesus once but he ignored me, I should be quiet.” Sometimes God wants to see if we truly believe.

Attitude – the blind man saw in that moment the opportunity to change his life and he was not about to let it get by. Embarrassment didn’t stop him nor did the reproach of the multitude that followed Jesus. He wasn’t doing anything wrong, he had faith and wanted a miracle. When we are on the right path and desire the right things, we fight till the end and don’t let such opportunities pass us by.

He called Jesus attention – how many given up on what they’ve desired and they never obtained anything. The blind man cried out so much that Jesus saw his determination and had him be called.

Detachment that proved certainty – usually beggars carry with them a cloak that they use to wrap themselves with when they are seated on the floor begging for money. When Jesus called him, he had certainty that, that would no longer be his life. By leaving the cloak behind he proved with his faith that he would no longer need it, because he would be cured. He left behind his most important possession; he detached himself from it.

Decision – Jesus knew that the man was blind, yet He asked him what miracle he wanted. The man replied “I want to see”, in the same instant the miracle occurred and he followed Jesus on the road, he was no longer on the sidewalk, for his faith took him out of that situation.

Now for another question, jejeje. What is your cloak? What do you depend on and need to let go in order to prove that you believe in God and are not attached to crutches.

I will wait for your replies here.

Kisses!

2 comments:

cphosethu said...

Thank
you Mrs Tania for the post

After my self-analysis, I saw that I don't have anything that I'm
holding onto except God. He is the Rock of my life and I want to keep it
that way. Nevertheless, I somehow allow myself to be more of a quitter
than persistent. I just leave things undone and think 'Oh, if God wants
me to have that or conquer this, He will bring it back', when in fact He
wants to see how much do I believe in Him. I have seen my mistake in it
and I will persist/persevere just like this blind man.

Saheeda UK said...

This has really opened my eyes after reading this!!
A simple story but so many things i got from it
Firstly was that he persevered and he left his cloak which for me could be my doubts,comfort zone,my fears etc. which shows me i must be like bartimaeus and drop my cloak

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...