Have you ever thought about who you are being guided by? We always ask God to guide us. But do we allow the Holy Spirit to take control of our life? These are questions that cannot be unanswered. Let’s then analyze; are you being guided:
- By the Spirit of God
- By your heart ( your feelings)
- By your flesh (your sinful desires)
Those who submit themselves to the Holy Spirit and let Him guide them, for sure are the ones that get it right because they never put their desires and feelings on top of the purposes of God. They acknowledge that God is ready to guide them, and He doesn’t need any help in order to do it; after all He is God. These people are subjected to the word of God because they know that whoever obeys and lives according to the biblical standards is protected and secure.
· They deny their own flesh.
· They do what’s right and not what they feel like doing
· They obey God even if His will is not their own will
· They’re conscious that God knows the right way and He can guide them
· Those who are guided by the Spirit maintain themselves within the plans of God
In other hand, those who let themselves be guided by their heart always suffer, they make wrong decisions, make mistakes often, and are deceived. The bible says that: “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9-10) Not even we know it! Sentimental and emotive people don’t normally use their reason because they base everything in what they feel. That’s why their decisions, choices, and attitudes are guided by their biggest enemy. The one she insists in obeying and only brings her sadness; her heart.
· They play the victims
· They stay with someone because they fall in love with him/her but they don’t see that it’s not convenient
· They solve their problems crying or screaming
· They talk without thinking of the consequences of their words
· Get hurt easily
· If they feel like it, they go to church, read the bible, and when they don’t feel like they don’t do anything
· They make choices by what they feel and not by the intelligent faith
Finally we have those who are guided by flesh; whatever they feel like doing they do it even if it has a high price and puts their salvation at risk. What come after doesn’t matter, it only matters to satisfy their desires today. Their flesh always speaks louder. They choose to get carried away instead of controlling the desires of their flesh. In this way sin has dominion over them. To be guided by flesh it means to say yes to all your desires and wishes, even if you know that the consequences will come when you surrender to them all.
· They follow their wild desires and live according to the needs of their flesh
· What’s important is to satisfy their flesh; their want to please themselves
· What their flesh asks they give without thinking twice
· They wish the desires of the world and don’t fight to overcome them
Let’s not allow our heart or the desires of the flesh blind our understanding for it would be like signing our death certificate. I leave you this message to meditate:
“For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.” Romans 8:6-8