Monday 28 August 2017

The story of my life 6: "The Book of discoveries"




After a while in the church, and listening the pastor teaching that we should have a Bible, we bought one. It was my first Bible and I was excited to know what was written in there. What I did not imagine was what I would discover in the pages of that Book that would change everything I had learned so far. I remember reading every night before I went to bed. I would not go to sleep without reading the Word of God. I started with the New Testament, reading the Gospels. The more I read, the more I could see the lie in which I lived; all of that was false.
With every verse my heart rejoiced. I saw that everything the pastor preached on the Altar was in agreement with that Word. Everything that was done in church had a biblical basis. So it was confirmed that it was the right place. Sometimes I would read and show my mother like, “Look, that’s exactly like in church.” I was happy. Sometimes I even cried when I was reading the Bible because that Word was very strong. I remember being disgusted because I never read it before, for accepting so many teachings and religious rituals with no biblical foundation and never questioned anything. I even felt angry at those who taught people pure lies! I remember very well a passage I read and it was a great discovery for me:
“And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” John 14:13

I should pray and ask God in the name of Jesus! I had never prayed using the name of the Lord Jesus before, but from that day on, I learned, and I started to practice it. Another word that the pastor read in church and shaked the foundation of everything they had taught me since I was a child was:   
“But their idols are silver and gold, made by human hands. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but cannot see. They have ears, but cannot hear, noses, but cannot smell. They have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but cannot walk, nor can they utter a sound with their throats. Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them.” Psalm 115:4-8

I found out that I was an idolater! I believed in so many gods that were simply images made by men, rather than putting my belief and trust in the one true God. But on that same day when I went home I made a decision: from that day on I would only believe in the God of the Bible. I knew the Ten Commandments by heart since I was six years old, but not as it is written in Exodus 20.
The first commandment was summarized in “Loving God above all things” and the rest? And the important part of “Thou shalt have no other gods before me?” I've never heard of it.
Once the pastor taught about baptism in the waters. He said that “baptism is the remission of sins. It can only be done when someone can discern good and evil. The baptism of babies is not biblical. What sin does a baby have? The Lord Jesus was presented in the Temple when he was born and was baptized at the age of thirty.”

Another great thing I found out was that everything was wrong with me. I was just a religious person who had nothing of God; ignorant spiritually speaking. Through the Bible I was also learning about the Lord Jesus. How He behaved, what He did when He was here, His love and mercy with us, etc. I was in love with Jesus! Every verse I read about Him I admired Him more. How wonderful He was! Everything that was taught in church was shown in the Bible, so I never questioned the Word of God.
When it was explained of idolatry I accepted. When it was spoken of the baptism in the waters I understood it right away. When it was taught of tithe immediately I agreed. It was written, there was no room for doubt or questions. It was the Word of God and it should be respected and obeyed. It is a matter of intelligence. If I believe in the Word I obey it and not question it.
So I was slowly reading, learning and putting into practice. Some things took me some time to learn, but it was wonderful to have contact with the Word of God for the first time.
I loved to read the Bible, even though I could not understand everything. I tried hard to make the most of it and I was getting closer to God. Remember that at that time there wasn’t much information available like we’ve today. There were no church programs on TV, blogs, etc. we just had church meetings to go and learn the things of God.

And you, how was your first contact with the Word of God? Do you remember?






3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this post Mrs Tânia. ♥

ms guni, England uk said...

Thank you, am finding it hard to mediate in the old testament. What should I do as I can't memorize the verse by heart too.

pelin said...

steroid satın al
heets
5GZ

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...